Calling all Middle School Science Teachers!
Are you interested in a high quality professional learning (PL) opportunity to support the enactment of Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)-aligned curricula? Do you know other middle school science teachers who could benefit from an immersive PL experience designed to enhance both teacher and student learning?
Beginning in Summer 2020, BSCS will be offering a fully-online PL course developed to guide teachers through our new body systems curriculum unit: A Medical Mystery. Part 1 (Summer 2020) will engage teachers in developing an understanding of A Medical Mystery, develop an understanding of STeLLA strategies as they are embedded in the unit, and analyze classroom video of the units in action.
Part 2 (Fall 2020) will support teachers as they begin to use the unit with students. Teachers who continue into Part 2 of the course will film themselves teaching the unit and will engage in video-based analysis-of-practice with their peers.
A Medical Mystery supports middle school teachers in the effective instruction of an NGSS-aligned, EQuIP-reviewed body systems curriculum unit. Learn more here.
- Part 1: June 15 – August 7, 2020 is a 7-week summer course. Participation each week requires approximately 3 hours of asynchronous work (with mid-week and end-of-week assignments), and 2 hours of synchronous work. Exact meeting schedule will be developed to accommodate the availability and needs of participants.
- Cost: $350
- Total hours of participation: 35 hours across 7 weeks
- Part 2: September 7 – October 23, 2020 includes 4 2-hour synchronous sessions spread across 8 weeks. Participants teach A Medical Mystery to students, film themselves using the materials with students, and engage in video-based analysis-of-practice to refine their understanding and use of the unit.
- Cost: $240
- Total hours of participation: time to teach the unit plus 8 hours across 8 weeks
- Completion of Part 1 is a prerequisite for registering for Part 2.
- Location: Online; basic equipment
- Registration Deadline: April 3, 2020
Throughout this comprehensive, 10-15 week institute, you will:
- Become familiar with the Next Generation Science Standards and learn how to successfully enact NGSS-aligned curriculum.
- Enhance your own understanding of body systems content to better support students’ classroom engagement and 3-dimensional learning.
- Develop an understanding of BSCS’s signature STeLLA strategies—which have shown to be highly effective in improving both teacher and student learning.
This resource was developed in partnership with Oregon Public Broadcasting
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. DRL 1660985. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.