BSCS Biology: Understanding for Life Professional Development Leader Institute
The deadline for submitting applications was March 29, 2023. Notifications were made no later than April 12, 2023.
BSCS Science Learning recently released a brand new, NGSS-designed high school biology course. Teachers say it is already changing how their students learn and use science in their everyday lives. And now, we are offering the BSCS Biology: Understanding for Life Professional Development (PD) Leader Institute.
The BSCS Biology program is entering its second year on the market. As the number of program adoptions increases, we will need PD Leaders to meet a growing need for professional learning to support successful implementation. This institute will prepare a select group of teachers and leaders to facilitate professional learning for adopting districts. As the number of program adoptions continues to increase, additional PD Leader Institutes will be scheduled.
- Deepen understanding of the Anchored Inquiry Learning instructional model as implemented in BSCS Biology: Understanding for Life.
- Deepen understanding of and increase abilities to lead PD as a transformative experience for teachers.
- Discuss how and when to make decisions when leading and reflecting on curriculum-based PD aligned with the program goals and curriculum.
Facilitator Institute Schedule
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4|
|Morning: travel to institute|
Afternoon: institute starts
|All day: facilitator institute||All day: facilitator institute||Morning: institute closing|
Afternoon: travel home
Expectations of this Institute:
- Homework during institute
- Post work (synchronous and asynchronous virtual work)
What’s included for participants:
- Transportation costs to and from the Institute
- Lunch and snacks every day
- Facilitator materials
What to expect after the Institute:
Participants completing the Institute will be part of the BSCS Biology: Understanding for Life PD Leader cadre. Based on the number of PD contracts with adoptions, we will reach out to members of the cadre with opportunities to provide PD to adopting districts. Because we do not know the demand for PD, we cannot guarantee contracts for all cadre members.