Professional Development Provider Institutes
Join us at our next event on June 20–23, 2023.
Each Professional Development (PD) Provider Institute is a 4-day experience designed to support you as a PD provider by deepening your knowledge, increasing your confidence, and enhancing your abilities to support the implementation of the Next Generation Science Standards and the recommendations put forth in A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts, and Core Ideas in Science Teaching. The entire program generally consists of a series of four institutes.
The typical series of institutes includes:
- Institute 1: Developing and Using Models (Practice 2)
- Institute 2: Analyzing and Interpreting Data, Constructing Explanations and Engaging in Argument from Evidence (Practices 4, 6, and 7)
- Institute 3: Asking Questions and Planning Investigations (Practices 1 and 3)
- Institute 4: Obtaining, Evaluating, and Communicating Information (Practices 7 and 8)
Who should participate?
- Science supervisors
- K-12 teacher leaders
- Science consultants
- University faculty
What are the benefits?
By participating in this Institute, PD providers will
- enhance their understanding of the research and literature underpinning the NGSS and be better able to support teachers’ translation of research into the classroom,
- deepen their understanding of all eight scientific and engineering practices laid out in the NGSS, and
- be part of a community that can support PD providers’ work.
After participating in the program, PD providers will be able to
- plan, lead, and evaluate workshops that help teachers use scientific practices in their classrooms;
- use a variety of “close-to-the-classroom” strategies to support teachers as they use the scientific practices in their classrooms;
- make adjustments to plans based on data and understandings about change; and
- increase intentionality in leadership practices.
Details vary for each institute. Join our email list to stay informed on upcoming programs.